Looking for Deep Creek Lake Maryland activities and cabins? Look no further!
A group of us from college and grad school get together for Friendsgiving every year, and it’s something I always look forward to. Now that we all have toddlers and a new baby among us, it’s more important than ever to make time to get together – and easier than ever to let time get away from us…
So when Vacasa came along with a beautiful cabin big enough for all 12.5 of us, I jumped at the chance to get away. And by some holiday miracle, we were all available the same weekend! Browse rentals, book confidently, and get the guaranteed best price for your getaways this holiday season on Vacasa.com. And, if you or someone you know owns a vacation rental, consider having Vacasa professionally manage your home.
I’m all kinds of extra, so I got matching penguin jammies for all the little ones. Would you just look at all those precious little toes?!?!
We stayed in Oakland, part of Deep Creek Lake Maryland, right across the road from Deep Creek Lake. It was only a three-hour drive for us – far enough to feel like we were getting away but close enough to make a toddler road trip manageable.
We hosted our annual Friendsgiving a few weeks early while we were at the cabin, and it was all kinds of adorable with our sweet tiny humans!
I brought paper plates and cups for the kids so that we wouldn’t have to worry about them running around and breaking their dishes, and it was an excellent decision, let me tell you. I put together a really beautiful grazing table in lieu of a sit-down meal since we don’t sit still too much these days anyway.
Since I covered the table in paper, we let the kids color all over it. They had a blast, of course. And we carved those pumpkins the next day.
Vacasa is the perfect vacation rental go-to, whether heading out of town for the holidays or just looking for a great staycation house to host the out-of-towners. It’s the largest vacation rental management platform in North America. You can find a Vacasa in 31 states and 17 other countries. They have more than 23,000 so far! Vacasa is such a perfect way to take the stress out of your holidays and know that you’re in good hands!
P.S. How fun are these goodies they left at the cabin for us?! The blanket is ahhhhmazing.
Where to Stay – Deep Creek Lake Cabins
The Deep Creek Lake area in Garrett County includes McHenry, Oakland, and other cities and towns. Vacasa has a ton of gorgeous vacation homes all over the area. Just search their site, and you’ll find something just the right size.
We stayed at the Good Time Pine Vacasa cabin in Oakland, MD.
Deep Creek Lake Maryland Cabin Amenities
Do floor-to-cathedral-ceiling windows count?
Seriously, though, our Vacasa was perfect for our big group with four bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms. The kids had a blast with the bunk beds, and we all roasted marshmallows around the giant fire pit.
It’s three stories, so I thought it might get cold and packed really warm jammies for Cricket. But that big old fireplace warms up the whole house in a flash.
The pool table and hot tub ended up being major gathering places for us grownups, and it was so relaxing! Seriously, a glass of wine and a soak in the jacuzzi after a long day is the way to live, you guys!
Deep Creek Lake Activities
The Deep Creek Lake Maryland area is really great for outdoor activities year-round. This was our first time going, but I got some great recommendations from Instagram followers.
- Mountain Coaster: Wisp Resort has an awesome, completely ridiculous one-person coaster that looks kind of like a bobsled. You control the speed with a hand brake, and it’s equal parts terrifying and awesome.
- Swallow Falls State Park: We went on an absolutely gorgeous hike at Swallow Falls State Park. It’s an easy but satisfying hike with several waterfalls along the way. We managed it with two toddlers and an infant in carriers and hiking backpacks. Just plan for a bit of mud and some puddle-jumping, depending on the weather!
- Leaf peeping: We were here the week before Halloween, and the drive was totally stunning. The fall foliage colors are incredible, and it’s basically like you’re staying inside a postcard. There was a beautiful sprinkling of bright yellow and orange leaves on our balcony deck each morning.
- Skiing: Deep Creek Lake has Maryland’s only ski resort, Wisp Resort. The area is also good for cross-country skiing.
- Fishing: As a vegetarian, I’m not one for fishing, but I hear Deep Creek Lake is great for bass fishing. The lake is stocked year-round, and evidently it’s even known for ice-fishing.
- Frisbee golf/disc golf: The guys played nine holes of disc golf at the Wisp Resort course. I’m not sure when they stop for the year, since it’s on the ski slopes.
- Deep Creek Lake State Park: We didn’t make it to this one on our long weekend, but it’s supposed to have great hiking and water activities. They also have a ton of camping available.
GET THE FREE DESIGN FOR THIS PROJECT!
Subscribe (free!) to get INSTANT access to my resource library with all my free printables, cut files, and templates! Once subscribed, you'll receive my weekly newsletter with new projects and freebies.