Orange lips are everywhere right now, and though I was a little skeptical at first, I kind of love this one. The thing is – it’s a bit tricky to pull off. Fortunately, I got to try an orange glaze for a site that I review for, so it was kind of a risk-free experiment in trend-chasing. The shade is fairly subtle on me (please excuse my scary-giant eyes), but it’s nice and shiny. Here are a few tips for the not-so-faint of heart:
- If you’re pale (à la yours truly), stick with a sheer, glossy orange – maybe a coral or peachier shade.
- If you’re olive or dark-complected, you can go all out and sport an intense, rich true orange, even in a more matte shade.
- Stick with shades that match your skin’s undertones. A good tip I read somewhere – look at the underside of your forearm. If your veins appear bluish, you have cool undertones. If they appear greenish, you have warm undertones.
- An orange with a hint of red is more universally flattering, and it’s a bit less ‘shocking.’
- Just like with a red lip, keep the rest of your makeup fairly neutral. I just did a smudge of liner and mascara with a pale peach blush.
What do you guys think of this spring trend? Is orange the new bold red lip? Is it too much? Are you willing to give it a try?