Spoiler alert: There’s no cool story. I’m just that weird.
Basically the first thing everybody wants to know when I tell them I have a blog and it’s called Shrimp Salad Circus is… what’s a Shrimp Salad Circus. Totally valid question, though you’ll probably be disappointed by the answer.
Shrimp Salad Circus came out of a really exhausted conversation with my best friend after a three-month backpacking trip in Central and South America. We decided that we clearly couldn’t just go get “normal” jobs after becoming so very cultured and wise and desperately hip, so we were planning our own business.
Here’s how our business plan pretty much went:
- Don’t sleep for a few days. Except on planes that seem like they’re probably gonna crash.
- Take the San Diego trolley in the wrong direction. Try not to notice for as long as possible, or at least until you’ve added an hour to your trip.
- Decide to start a coffee shop/art commune/bar/hipster mecca.
- Pick out the perfect name by taking turns blurting out weird, totally unrelated words (only finding out years later than “shrimp salad” is a real thing involving shrimp and mayonnaise and then being pretty grossed out for awhile). Stop.
- Get off the trolley; go to grad school; and get “normal” jobs.
- Start a blog with that weird name while your bestie goes off and becomes a respectable lawyer.
- Sit back while everyone thinks you’re a cooking blog (maybe a gross one, at that) and tags you in Instagram pictures where they’ve done unspeakable things to shrimp.