Me, in a Nutshell (Pecan, Perhaps?)
- I love to travel more than almost anything else. I’ve been to 23 different countries.
- I am probably taller than you. And more awkward, but that correlation hasn’t been proven…
- I once roasted a marshmallow over molten lava. Yes, it did taste better.
- Hablo español, y fui de mochilera desde Guatemala hasta Argentina.
- I was vegetarian for almost a decade, until I fell into the buffalo wing wagon last fall.
- I nickname things way more than is acceptable. Just ask Eddie the palm tree or Lola the laptop.
- A good night is a hot bath, glass of wine, and my Kindle (I’ve only dropped it in the bath once.).
- I collect owls,
cats,* hugs from animals, foreign coins, and memories.
The Longer Part (Pecan Pie, if I May)
I probably already went overboard with the list, but the first thing you should know about me is that I’m a talker. Anywho, I live in the Washington, DC area with my husband Andrei and our two [formerly fat] cats, Mish and Rosco. By day I work in digital & social media, and
by night all the other times, I’m a calligrapher, maker, event curator, and other pretentious-sounding whatnots.
And a blogger. Obviously.
When I’m not elbow-deep in acrylic paint, cement, scraps of every craft supply imaginable, and a sad little pile of my own singed eyelashes, my very most favorite things in the world are travel, languages, animals, and photography.
The Blog (I’m out of pecan references…)
Shrimp Salad Circus is a daily DIY and lifestyle blog and brand I created way back in oh-nine. The blog covers everything from an extensive library of DIY tutorials to tech tips and inspiration. Here and on my different social media platforms are where I find meaningful ways to connect every day with my readers, fans, and followers in more than 200 countries across the globe.
But… Shrimp Salad Circus?
Here it is, probably the only reason you’ve even read this far. The question you’re dying to know and can’t figure out to save your life. You know there’s some kind of awesome, crazy story behind it, if I’d only just get down to it and tell you…
What the heck is Shrimp Salad Circus???
Spoiler alert: There’s no cool story. I’m just that weird.
Shrimp Salad Circus came out of a really exhausted conversation with my best friend after a three-month backpacking trip in Central and South America. We decided that we clearly couldn’t just go get “normal” jobs after becoming so very cultured and wise and desperately hip, so we were planning our own business. Here’s how our business plan pretty much went:
- Don’t sleep for a few days. Except on planes that seem like they’re probably gonna crash.
- Take the San Diego trolley in the wrong direction. Try not to notice for as long as possible, or at least until you’ve added an hour to your trip.
- Decide to start a coffee shop/art commune/bar/hipster mecca.
- Pick out the perfect name. Take turns blurting out weird, totally unrelated words (only finding out years later than “shrimp salad” is a real thing and then being pretty grossed out for awhile). Find three. Stop.
- Get off the trolley; go to grad school; and get “normal” jobs.
- Start a blog with that weird name while your bestie goes off and becomes a respectable lawyer.
*Two totally doesn’t count…
**If you’re wondering what “two of” doesn’t count for, there’s an asterisk up there in the bulleted list. It’s a good one. Go check.