I’ve been on a major beet kick lately. Right before our Ecuador trip, I was chopping them raw into salads or grating them for raw “spiralized noodles.” It might sound weird to eat them raw, but even Andrei really enjoyed them!
Last time we went to Costco I found these pre-roasted beets and decided to give ’em a go. I can get into really elaborate recipes sometimes, but I was craving something light and summery when I created this mozzarella beets stacks recipe. These make a wonderfully refreshing appetizer, or you could stack a few together on a plate for a beautiful summer salad!
- Fresh mozzarella
- Roasted beets
- Large fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice mozzarella, tomatoes, and beets into .25" thick rounds.
- On each small plate, place these ingredients in the following order: mozzarella, basil leaf, beet, mozzarella, basil leaf, tomato.
- Immediately before serving, drizzle the balsamic mixture over each stack.
- Sprinkle with another light dusting of sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper.