You remember the baby shower I made these little guys for? Well, my animal obsession didn’t stop there.
I went totally over the top with some of the food, and I ended up whipping up this cheese ball hedgehog recipe. And almost couldn’t bring myself to serve the little guy up to be eaten!
Not to be dramatic, you guys, but isn’t he just about to cute to be eaten? Plus, he’s just all sorts of delicious as an appetizer, with tons of cheese, fresh herbs, and delicious caramelized onion.
Cheese Ball Hedgehog Recipe
I found a little ceramic hedgehog planter at Michaels. I had to pull out all the succulents and remove the styrofoam, but it cleaned up perfectly. I can’t find it on their website, so I’ve tried to find some alternatives for you. I’ll add to the list below if I find anything that’s a good fit. Unfortunately I haven’t tried these, so I can’t speak to the size, but maybe they’ll help!
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sliced almonds for garnish
- Caramelize the onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent and browned. Remove from heat, and cool.
- Mix caramelized onions and all ingredients except for sliced almonds with a mixer at medium speed.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Shape cheese spread into an oval ball in a hedgehog vase or on a serving dish.
- Poke sliced almond, pointy-side up, in rows all over the cheese ball to create the spikes of the hedgehog.
- Store in the refrigerator, and take it out 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sliced baguette or crackers.