Learn how to make a baby clay handprint keepsake frame or ornament. It’s the perfect newborn craft or Mother’s Day gift ideas!
In the early days with Cricket, I thought I’d have so much time to make fun projects with her.
Maternity leave, right?
Yeah, not so much.
She didn’t nap. Like, almost at all. So I got the benefit of spending so many beautiful moments with her. But I also learned to ask for help from Andrei.
This baby clay hand print keepsake is the perfect project to make with your family or friends because you’ll need an extra hand.*
*Sorry, I couldn’t resist.
You don’t need a special baby clay handprint kit for this project, so it’s perfect for parents of newborns!
With a little tweaking and modification, you could even make a clay handprint bowl, which would be such an amazing Mother’s Day gift idea!
The Spring Make It Challenge
If you’re thinking about making clay projects, you’re in luck.
This tutorial is part of the spring Make It Challenge, hosted by Spatial Dwelling and ctrl + curate. I’ve teamed up with some of my favorite DIY bloggers to share different tutorials with the same material: clay.
Want to join in?
Share your latest clay projects on Instagram with #makeitchallenge for a chance to be featured on the @makeitchallengecommunity feed.
Here are the other participating bloggers, so go check them out!
- Spatial Dwelling | DIY Clay Planters
- ctrl + curate | DIY Palo Santo Holder + Match Striker
- Design Fixation | DIY Clay Candle Holders
- Alice & Lois | DIY Clay Wall Hanging
- Delineate Your Dwelling | Make Clay Vase Wall Hanging
- Bliss Makes | Make Clay Beads To Decorate A Pillow
- Idle Hands Awake | DIY Clay Rainbow Photo Holder
- Fall for DIY | DIY Terracotta Clay Hanging Planters
- Air dry clay
- Shadow box frame
- Alphabet stamps
- DecoArt Metallic Lustre
- Clay roller or rolling pin
- Thin paint brush
- Dark paint
Instructions for How to Make Clay Handprints
1. Roll out your air dry clay to a 1/4″ thickness.
Tip: Roll out the clay on parchment paper or a silicone mat to avoid any sticking when you eventually peel it off.
2. Press a hand into the clay gently and evenly. Lift it off evenly.
Tip: Whether you’re making a hand print for a baby or an older child, it’s probably best to have an adult helper assist with hand placement so that the child doesn’t press too hard and smash through the clay.
3. Cut around the handprint using a straight edge or knife and a ruler or rectangle as a template.
4. Roll out a scrap of air dry clay to a 1/8″ thickness.
5. Cut a long, thin rectangle, and set aside the scraps.
6. Gently press alphabet stamps into the clay to spell out a name, date, or a cute memory.
7. Slowly, carefully bend the rectangle into a banner shape.
8. Set both clay pieces aside to dry completely overnight.
9. Use a thin paintbrush to fill in the letters. Wipe away any surface paint with a damp paper towel or lint-free cloth.
Tip: Dilute acrylic paint with water for a watercolor effect.
10. Use a dry paint brush to rub the Metallic Lustre into the hand print to help it stand out.
11. Glue the banner to the handprint panel and the handprint panel to the shadow box background.
Tip: Let it dry overnight before assembling the shadowbox frame, or it could slide apart.
What did you use as the background in the shadow box? Thanks!
Hi, I didn’t know how to use it either until recently . But then I came across this article https://valhallavitalityshop.com/blogs/news/cycloastragenol-best-astragalus-root-extract . And it immediately became clear to me . Smoking and chewing are the available methods of consumption . Burning extracts can also be used to inhale them .
Is your dryer not working? The technicians from this service will identify and effectively fix the problem https://serviceservotech.com/appliance-repair/kenmore/ . They will be able to get your dryer back to its original condition, no matter how serious the problem is. This will save you money in the long run by extending the life of your dryer. I hope I helped you with my recommendation
Hello ! I am the one who writes posts on these topics bitcoincasino I would like to write an article based on your article. When can I ask for a review?
이용이유가생기는곳 먹튀검증 안전노리터 go
It’s too bad to check your article late. I wonder what it would be if we met a little faster. I want to exchange a little more, but please visit my site totosite and leave a message!!
에볼플레이 먹튀검증 안전노리터
thank you so much for this detailed article. I am going to do my little boys impressions for the first time. Where did you get the alphabet stamps? thanks
You should be able to find some by searching Amazon for alphabet stamps. 🙂
What kind of glue did you use to glue the handprint to the shadowbox?
Good question! I used E6000. A small tube is shown in the last photo, and I’ll be sure to add it to the supply list. Would love to see how yours turns out!
Gaaahhhhh could this be any cuter?! I love seeing Cricket’s little print like this!
Her little handprint is so precious! Love the watercolor touch to make the imprints pop 🙂
Sweet little baby hands are the best. Also love the slight color you added to it.
Thanks so much! It needed a little something extra. 🙂