Guess what, friends? I have the perfect project for you to get your money’s worth out of those cheap Old Navy or Dollar Store flip flops (or the dollar store version, in my case), and they’re probably even cheaper than normal, since summer is drawing to a close.
You can make super cute little flip flop coaster to outfit all your favorite margarita glasses – all for just a few bucks. These are foolproof, really. Just think about it – you’re having a girls’ day, serving up your killer secret margarita recipe. With these cute little accessories, the margarita glasses will be protected from bumps — and will protect your table from watermarks — no matter how many margaritas your lovely guests have enjoyed!Now read on to find out what exactly myDIY is and how you and your blog can get involved with the project!
For this project, I’ve joined up with Kira of Her New Leaf and Esther of Wholly Kao to co-host myDIY, an online crafting party that you’re all invited to! Here’s what Kira has to say by way of an introduction to myDIY:
One question I get asked all the time is, “How do you find inspiration?” And even though I know it’s not what people want to hear, the 100% truthful answer is: everywhere! While I know that I am lucky to have been born into a family of creatives, I do think it is possible to learn creative skills. I have a friend who insists she has absolutely no right brain, and I really think it just isn’t true! Crafty or artistic skills may not come naturally to everyone, but anyone can think creatively! So that is why I wanted to start myDIY!
myDIY is a collaborative online crafting party designed to inspire creative thought and interpretation. Each month, a material or topic will be posted along with several bloggers’ interpretations of the idea. We offer our own projects to show how one idea can be interpreted in so many different ways! Here is where you come in. We invite you to gather inspiration from our projects and link-up your own interpretation.
myDIY is meant to be an exercise in creativity – rather than reading a tutorial online and executing it exactly as specified, we hope to truly encourage and develop creativity through this project! myDIY will take place over one month, allowing plenty of time for all of you lovely readers to post and link-up your own projects. At the end of the month, we plan to showcase our favorite projects.
- Flip flops – as many as the number of coasters you want and the cheaper, the better!
- Strong, waterproof glue – like Gorilla Glue
- Permanent markers – helpful to have fine and broad tips
- Something round to trace – a little larger than the bottom of a wine glass
- Wide paintbrush
- Mod Podge
- Waterproof sealant spray – I used this.
- Glitter spray – only necessary if you’re of a sparkly disposition
Voila – now you have adorable flip flop coasters for less than five bucks.
If you want to participate in myDIY, complete these steps:
1. Create a DIY tutorial that uses or is inspired by flip flops, and post it on your own blog. If you don’t have a blog, you can still participate by posting your project on one or more of our Facebook pages (Shrimp Salad Circus, Her New Leaf, Wholly Kao) and linking up from there.