- 4+ small, round cork mats
- chalkboard paint
- wide brush
- thin brush
- several colors of acrylic paint
- small containers for paint
2. Choose a design for your coasters, and sketch it onto the painted mat with a regular pencil. I Googled henna tattoo designs for my coasters because I love the gorgeous patterns – paisleys, florals, and all sorts of abstract shapes. Don’t be afraid to mess up; this painted surfacce is very forgiving and can be easily erased.
3. Once you’re happy with your sketch, use a fine brush to slowly paint it on with the acrylic paint of your choosing. It may need a second coat after it dries.
4. For small dots or other similar details, I find it helpful to use the fine, pointy top-end of the paintbrush. Just dip it into your acrylic paint and dot it onto the painted mat. This gives you perfect little dots in no time flat (thanks for the idea, Mom!).
4 contd. Here’s a closer shot to show you what I mean.
5. Paint the outer rim of the mats in a coordinating color or the same color as the design. This will give your coasters visual appeal even when stacked.
Once everything has dried, you have a fun little coaster set that your house or party guests can scrawl their marks across to claim their beverages. Just wipe it away with a damp cloth at the end of the night, and they’re good as new!