I managed to snag an old box of projector slides at the thrift store for a buck fifty and just had to do something fun with them! They’re really neat little collage images, probably from some art class. They’re all from 1998 and 1999, so they’re not really old enough to be cool. I love them just the same for their bright, colorful images and for the look of the slides in general!The slides take on a whole new look (obviously) when held up to a light source, so I wanted to make the most of that feature. I decided to go with a sun catcher sort of creation but with kind of a sparse look to it. I like the look of the large chain links because it gives it kind of a modern industrial feel. As long as you can get a hold of some old slides, this project is quick, easy, cheap, and lots of fun!
Chain with at Least Twelve Links (or S Hooks)
Two Pairs of Pliers
1. Begin by gripping each side of one link’s opening with pliers and then twisting one side away from you and one toward you. Think of it as a giant jump ring.2. Continuing opening links until you have at least twelve. They should be opened just enough to pull them apart, like in the photo. Set them aside for later.
2. On each slide, mark the middle of the top and bottom using a pencil. This is where you’ll drill your holes, so you want it to be centered.
3. Drill a hole on the places you’ve marked at the top and bottom of each slide. In one slide, only drill a hole in the top. This will be the bottom slide and won’t need to be connected to anything at the bottom.
4. Continue until all twelve slides (except the last) look like this.
5. Thread a link from your chain through the hole in one of the slides.
6. Thread another slide onto the same link.
7. Using your pliers, close the link the same way that you opened it.
8. Continue adding links and slides until they’re all connected, and you have one long strand of slides linked together.
9. You can add additional links to the top as desired, depending on how long you want the hanger portion of the chain to be. I used two links.
10. You’re all done! Go hang your quirky little piece of art in a window to make all your neighbors jealous!!!
SUBSCRIBE NOW TO ACCESS MY FULL LIBRARY OF FREE DOWNLOADS!