Whip up a batch of these fresh citrus marinated shrimp skewers for grilling at your next bbq! (Recipe updated May 2019)
If you’re on the hunt for a simple appetizer or side dish for a dinner party, BBQ or date night, this recipe for marinated shrimp kabobs for grilling is a great way to capture all the flavor without the mess!
With just a handful of ingredients, this marinated bbq shrimp recipe can be cooked right on the grill or in the oven, depending on your preference.
They also don’t take a lot of time to cook, which is one of the big factors I consider when preparing meals.
Summer is just around the corner, and this family-friendly citrus marinated shrimp skewers recipe is sure to be a hit with everyone at your next dinner or cookout!
Pair these grilled shrimp skewers with:
- Good eats grilled pizza
- This crispy baked sweet potato chips recipe
- A refreshing fruit salad recipe
- Avocado cucumber tomato salad
- Berry, chickpea, feta salad
Tips for Grilling Shrimp on Skewers
- Can you grill cooked shrimp? Since you don’t want them to get dried out and rubbery, you should grill them raw over direct heat, until they’re opaque.
- How do you eat shrimp skewers? You can eat them right off the skewer, but it may be easier to use a fork to slide the shrimp off the skewer onto a plate.
- Can you grill frozen shrimp? You can absolutely use frozen shrimp for this recipe. They’ll thaw while they’re marinating and be ready in time for grilling.
- Is it better to grill shrimp with shell on or off? You can grill them either way, but for grilling shrimp skewers, it’ll be a lot easier to peel them first.
- Do you wash shrimp before cooking? Yes, definitely wash your shrimp before you bbq it by running it under cold water. Toss any that feel slimy or smell really fishy.
- What should grilled shrimp look like? You’ll know your bbq shrimp recipe is grilled all the way through when the shrimp are opaque and have a bright orange and white color.
Save This for Later – Pin It!
Recipe: Preparing Marinated Shrimp for the Grill
This shrimp kabobs marinade is so summery and delicious with three different types of citrus: lemon, lime, and orange. Fresh cilantro adds bright flavor and an extra pop of color.
- Grilling shrimp: How long does it take? Depending on how hot your grill is, you can expect your grilled shrimp to be done in about 4-6 minutes per side.
- Using frozen shrimp for skewers: There’s no need to thaw your frozen shrimp because it’ll thaw while it’s marinating.
- Optional add-ons: Shrimp kabobs with pineapple or shrimp skewers with vegetables can help you stretch the recipe out and add some additional flavor and texture. You can also put fresh lemon and lime wedges on the skewers for color and flavor.
Serving Size: 1 skewer
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 61Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Stephanie is an Arizona resident who owns her own small business & blog all about providing custom styling and photography for businesses, photographers, event planners and other bloggers.
Being a mom of 3 little girls surely keeps her busy at home, but she loves to share her passion for beautiful shots and fresh style with others. As a family, Stephanie loves to play outside and spend a lot of time crafting or making yummy food to eat.