What says “summer” better than fresh, juicy berries?
This homemade raspberry shortcake recipe is the perfect way to get your baking fix. From the fresh-from-the-oven shortcakes to the light fluffy whipped cream, it’s a summertime dessert dream! Just be sure to make a lot of extra because your family and friends will be begging for seconds!
Homemade Raspberry Shortcake Recipe
- Raspberry Filling
- 1 clamshell (6 ounces) fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- Dash of salt
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- ⅓ cup half-and-half pluse more as needed, chilled
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream, chilled
- Turbinado sugar (aka Sugar in the Raw)
- Whipped Cream
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Make the raspberry filling by gently crushing about ⅔ of the raspberries using the side of a knife. Add to a small bowl along with the remaining ⅓ of whole raspberries. Sprinkle on the sugar and lemon zest. Stir and let sit for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Create the shortcakes by adding the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until combined, about 5 pulses. Add the butter and pulse until pea-sized crumbs form, about 20 pulses. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour in the half-and-half and stir just to bring the dough together. If the dough does not come together, add half-and-half in 1 tablespoon increments just until the dough comes together.
- Pour the flour onto a generously floured surface and roll out into a ½-inch thick square. Use a round biscuit or cookie cutter to cut out rounds. Place the rounds on the prepared baking sheet, separating 2-inches apart. Bring any scraps together and repeat.
- Brush each round with the cream. Sprinkle on the turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet completely before assembling.
- For the whipped cream add the cream and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer. Fit the mixer with the whisk attachment and turn onto medium-high speed. Whip until cream thickens and soft peaks form.
- Add the honey and continue whipping until combined.
- To assemble, split each of the cooled shortcakes in half using a sharp knife. Divide the whipped cream between the bottom halves. Top with the raspberry filling and cover with the top half. Serve immediately.