Can you believe it’s already April?! This month the #MichaelsMakers team asked us to create something special as a great Mother’s Day gift idea. And I know moms love to receive flowers, so today we’re going to play in the dirt a little bit and create a beautiful little greenhouse full of live flowers that all the moms out there can treasure all through spring!
All the moms out there: is this something you’d love to receive for Mother’s Day? You can pin it as a not-so-subtle hint! ;)
Can you guess what I’m using for the greenhouse?!
If you said “candle holder,” you’re right! Isn’t it the perfect size for a sweet little easy DIY flower terrarium?
If you want even more inspiration for Mother’s Day crafting, you can always take a look at some of the fun projects on Michaels.com or the other 49 Makers’ ideas on The Glue String for to see how they personalized their crafts!
- Glass candle holder (the one I used here is from Michaels) or other glass vessel large enough to hold a pot
- Two 4″ terra cotta pots
- White acrylic paint
- Wide paintbrush or sponge brush
- Soft, lint-free cloth
- Pen or marker
- Two small flower plants
1. Dilute white acrylic paint with water at a ratio of about 1:1 (half and half). Mix it thoroughly, and then brush a thick coat all over the outside and the inner lip of the pots.
Let it dry for 3-5 minutes.
2. Use a damp lint-free cloth to buff away the paint. Wipe away more paint in some spots than others, and don’t be afraid to wipe away too much. You can always add more again!
3. Transplant a flower into each pot. Just make sure they’re not too tall for your candle holder container!
4. Gently, carefully place the pots of flowers into the container. If your container has candle holder bases in it, those will be perfect for holding each pot!
5. Create a label with the name of the flower on one side. You can use the back side as a pretty keepsake gift tag! Just tie it onto the “terrarium,” and you’re done. You now have a beautiful little miniature greenhouse that’s perfect for gifting — or keeping!
SUBSCRIBE NOW TO ACCESS MY FULL LIBRARY OF FREE DOWNLOADS!